Aphrodisias named after Aphrodite because she has a sanctuary and a unique cult image in this city. In antiquity the sanctuary in Aphrodisias was distinctive with its cult of Aphrodite. The cult image of Aphrodite was a mixture of her Carian origins and several Anatolian deities.
The city, being close to a marble quarry, owned a famous sculpture school. It became a famous city in the Roman world with its beautifully built sculptures. Today a lot of sculptures are still in a good shape to see in Aphrodisias and Aphrodisias museum. Also Aphrodisias is know as one of best preserved ancient cities in Turkey. Aphrodisias mentioned in Suda, a massive Byzantine encyclopedia.
It is also famous among renowned scholars and philosophers. Xenocrates, who had been a student of Plato is believed to live in Aphrodisias.
Aphrodisias Tour Program
- 09:30 Pick you up from your hotel and drive to Aphrodisias.
- We will visit Sebasteion, Theater, Agora, Tiberius Portico, Hadrian Baths, Bishop Palace, Aphrodite Temple, Odeon, Stadium, Tetraphylon.
- We will have free time for Aphrodisias museum.
- We will have lunch in a local restaurant.
- 15:30 Drive back to your hotel.
TOUR TYPE : Regular or Private Group Tour
PICK UP : 09:30
DURATION : Approx. 6 hours
INCLUSIONS : Hotel pickup and drop off, English speaking guide, Lunch, Entrance fees
EXCLUSIONS : Personal Expenses, drinks, Photos and Videos, Tips (optional)
WE SUGGEST : Sunglasses, Hat, Comfortable shoes, Camera